If there is a small free bed left in the garden, plant sweet peas on its territory. This cute plant is very popular among children fresh, and will also help with the organization of many dishes in adults. Today we will talk about growing peas in the country and consider its agricultural technology.
Peas are a leguminous herbaceous plant. A green, curly and very cute annual becomes at some point a supplier of a sweet and juicy product that differs not only in its original taste, but also in the content of nutrients.
Crop cultivation technology
Pea is considered a finicky plant, but growing it in the country, subject to certain rules, is quite simple. It is sown in the spring, in a more or less warm soil. The root goes deep into the ground, and therefore the plant requires a preliminary digging of the soil, preferably in the fall. In the same period, it is better to introduce complex fertilizers.
How to prepare the ground
Pea is a warm and photophilous plant, which grows well in quiet, calm and well-warmed areas. It is very important that the soil on the landing site is minimally fertilized - just applying mineral fertilizers and organic matter. It would be nice to process the soil with lime, up to 250-300 g / m2, and also add 30 g of potassium and 20 g of double superphosphate.
Be prepared for the fact that you have to navigate correctly in the laying of seeds when sowing. In heavy and clay soils, peas are grown almost on the surface; in lighter soils, planting is deeper.
Prepare in advance for the installation of supports for adult bushes, since the plant can not be left just on the ground, in this form it will not give the desired result.
Preparing seeds for sowing
Before planting the seeds should be carefully sorted, discarded spoiled, beaten. The rest should be warmed up and soaked for 5-7 minutes in a solution of boric acid (1 g per 5 l of water). Landing takes place in a swollen, but dried form.
You can also use growth stimulants, but is it worth it if properly prepared peas at home give normal seedlings ...
Sowing peas in the country occurs approximately in the middle of spring, but at that moment when the soil is warm enough. Sowing is carried out with a certain density - undersized peas are planted denser, more tall sown less often.
The bed for sowing is very simple to prepare. First, furrows with a depth of 5-7 cm are made along the bed. The distance between them is 50-60 cm. Furrows should be prepared in advance, a few days before planting, and a mixture of compost and ash that is sprinkled with earth from the garden should be added to them. After preparation and application, the depth of the bed for sowing should be 3-5 cm. But here, do not forget to focus on the composition of the soil!
A plant is sown 15-17 pieces per meter of beds, that is, approximately every 6 cm. Crops are sprinkled with earth and lightly compacted to preserve moisture. In just one and a half weeks you can see the shoots.
Plant care in the country
- Immediately after sowing, the beds can be covered with foil for several days. After sprouting, it is advisable to lay a grid on the bed, cover the frame with a greenhouse, pull the ropes, wire to protect it from birds.
- When the seedlings are about 2 weeks old, it is advisable to loosen the soil around a little and even spud the seedlings.
- The first top dressing occurs at the moment when the plants on the bed reach a height of 8-10 cm. Further, top dressing can be applied once every two weeks, but this is not so necessary as watering, which should be done systematically, especially in dry weather. But do not be zealous, because pouring peas is undesirable.
- But when the color appears on the plants and the beans begin to pour, try to provide more constant watering, based on up to one bucket of water per square meter of beds.
- Do not forget about the obligatory garter of the bushes, be sure to bloom and develop the beans. It is necessary to install pegs every meter and a half and run horizontal guides from a rope or wire so that the plants do not lie on the ground, do not rot from excessive moisture, are well ventilated and warmed up in the sun.
- Two weeks after flowering, you can try young peas, which are collected very carefully, without breaking half of the bush behind each pod.
- To seriously increase productivity, collect peas at maturity every day, picking only the most suitable from the bushes. If the bushes have overripe and dried pods, they should be removed, since they slow down the growth and development of young ones.
- The crop is removed from the garden completely during the period when the lower pods mature and dry out. Cut plants are hung in bunches in a dry and dark room, where they are located until full maturity.
Pest and Disease Control
Peas in the country can be attacked by pests, and therefore recommend that you study in advance how to deal with parasites and those diseases that trap young plants.
The greatest danger is a pea stalk or leaflet. After wintering in the ground, the caterpillars of pests turn into adult butterflies and lay eggs on the greenery, in flowers and leaves. From these eggs caterpillars reappear, which quickly eat young plants and seriously damage the crop.
To combat parasites, preventive measures should be taken in advance. From the autumn, dig a plot, sow the crop at an earlier time, focusing on the first warm days in the middle of spring, and also process young plantings with infusion of tobacco, burdock roots or celandine leaves. You can also use decoctions of wormwood or tops of tomatoes.
Powdery mildew, which affects the entire plant and reduces the chances of getting a crop, can become an unpleasant problem.
Powdery mildew is recommended to be infused with field sow thistle (300 g of leaves are infused in a bucket of clean water for 8-10 hours), which sprayed all plantings. Repeated spraying occurs a week after the first.
Varieties of peas for giving
Best of all, according to experts, the following varieties are suitable for cottage cultivation: Avola, Strizh, Pegasus, Wickma, Geneva, Skinado, Violena, Salut, Karina, Chinese, Ilovetsky.
Growing peas in a summer cottage
Grow peas in the country with pleasure, since its fresh fruits are suitable not only for raw consumption, immediately from the garden, but also for the preparation of so many tasty and healthy dishes. Thank you for your attention to our article and invite you to a discussion in the comments, especially if you have recommendations or tips for summer residents! We recommend that you read the material on how to rid the garden of feral hops.