In greenhouses made of polycarbonate, glass, in greenhouses, thermoses and other types of similar designs, infections and pests are very common. This is due to the high requirements for the microclimate of the greenhouse, which is quite difficult to comply with. But not only the temperature and humidity inside the building can cause plant diseases and pests, but also plant debris in the fall, weeds, contaminated soil and fertilizers. In general, there are a lot of reasons, but today we are not looking for them, but methods of combating spider mites in the greenhouse.
What is a spider mite
This insect pest is red, orange, green-yellow or milky-transparent in sizes up to 1 mm. Some individuals reach a size of 2 mm, but this is extremely rare. Insects settle in conditions comfortable for them, mainly on the lower part of the plant leaf, but then they can occupy large areas of culture. You can recognize the life activity of the spider mite by the marks on the leaves - small bright dots.
At first, these are small pest settlements, but soon ticks can fill the entire greenhouse, as they multiply quite quickly. Within a week after appearing on one plant, they can be found not only in the tracks, but also in live form, crawling along the leaves. After a while, a web appears in which young and rapidly developing colonies are located.
What damage do cites cause to cucumbers?
Once in a greenhouse, insects quickly spread over its area, occupying immediately more convenient crops, one of which is just cucumbers. Insects feed on the juice of plant cells, due to which the leaves are depleted, begin to dry out and cause plants to become sick and die.
It is worth noting that the females are very active, and after 3-4 days they will lay eggs, in an amount of up to 400 pieces each. There can be up to 20 development cycles per year, and most of all this corresponds to a suitable climate of + 23 + 33 ° C and average humidity in the greenhouse. As you can see, the greenhouse is simply ideal for the life of these pests.
How to deal with a spider mite in a greenhouse
I would like to say that this is very simple, but we can’t, because many of the usual methods of controlling insects and methods of prevention simply do not save. According to the statements of many summer residents, and according to their own observations, spraying with water, which could raise the humidity, does not help, and ultraviolet radiation does not save, tinctures on the husks of onions or garlic, as well as laundry soap, also remain far away. In general, it is necessary to look for more effective remedies for ticks, otherwise you can lose your crop in the greenhouse in two ways.
Means, measures and methods of pest control
First of all, we want to give out a whole package of information for thought. These are recommendations of specialists from different regions of our country, and therefore some of them, in view of the different conditions of use, may not be suitable. So, what do professionals advise:
- Alternate planting of cucumbers, on which a spider mite quickly develops, with tomatoes, because in these cultures insects experience some difficulties with reproduction;
- Remove weeds from the beds in time and remove weeds from the greenhouses, because it is on them that pests most often winter. It is very important to provide and care for the greenhouse in which you grow cultivated plants. To do this, we recommend reading articles that describe the preparation of greenhouses for the winter, as well as the greenhouse in the fall;
- Try to observe the most suitable agricultural technology for the plants, leave a distance of one or more meters between the greenhouses so that the insects cannot move, in the greenhouses themselves make the aisle a little wider in order to have time to destroy the foci before their spread;
- It is important to observe high humidity in the greenhouse, this applies specifically to the cultivation of cucumbers. For a plant, humidity of 80-85% and above is normal; for insects, this is an uncomfortable climate;
- Try to systematically produce not only watering, loosening and mulching the soil, but also an inspection of plants, which will allow you to detect pests and plant diseases in time, and also quickly remove them from the greenhouse. To do this, it is worth at least every 2-3 days to carefully inspect the greenhouse and burn the leaves of those plants that have suffered;
- If a spider mite in a closed ground is still found, immediately apply spraying with special preparations, produce them every 12-15 days. If the pest managed to spread through the greenhouse, spraying can be carried out much more often, especially during the growing season, for example, once every 5-7 days. In this case, colloidal sulfur (80 g per bucket of water), phytoverm (10 ml per bucket of water), bitoxibacillin (100 g per bucket of water) are used. It is possible to carry out pollination with ground sulfur, but not more than 3-4 g per square meter of plantings;
- A great way to destroy a spider mite is to use the natural enemy of the insect. In the greenhouse, you can populate the phytoseyulyus - a predatory tick that preys on the spider web. It is enough to lay out a few leaves with a “hunter” around the infected plant;
- If the above methods do not help, use tougher chemistry - acaricides and other mechanisms of toxic effects, but do not forget to use the instructions for drugs and personal protective equipment.
It is necessary to remember once and for all that any insect is able to adapt to drugs, and therefore an integrated approach should be applied, and not try to remove the pest from the greenhouse for years with a well-advertised product that does not help already from the second or third time.
How to get rid of a spider mite: drugs on sale, than to process
In this section of the article, we decided to point out those drugs that can help in the fight against ticks. We want to note right away that some of them are extremely effective, while others have a weak effect. Much here depends on the time of infection of the greenhouse, pre-treatment preparations, processing quality and other conditions.
A special tool for combating many pests, which is more aimed at the destruction of ticks and aphids. The drug is produced in the form of sticks, which are immersed in the soil near the stem of the plant. During irrigation, the active substances dissolve and begin to act, and therefore, insects can be effectively controlled in the early stages.
The drug is intended for the care of indoor plants, but it has proven itself well in greenhouses, but again, only in the early stages.
The impact on the tick occurs after 2-3 days, the total period of plant protection is up to one and a half months.
The drug, which is produced in the same form as Plant Pin, is also used as well. The main difference is the active substance. If in Plant Pin it is butoxyraboxime, then in Etisso it is dimethoate.
An immersed stick of this product dissolves with water during watering the plant, penetrates the aerial part and poisons insects that feed on the sap of the cultivated plant.
Be careful, the drugs are toxic. After use, be sure to discard the gloves in which you worked, and also wash your hands well with soap!
An effective plant treatment product that must be used very carefully, with a gauze bandage and gloves.
The ampoule with the drug is carefully opened and poured into 1-1.5 liters of water (5 ml ampoule). The solution is mixed, and immediately ready for use. It is only necessary to pour it into the spray gun and treat the affected plants.
Be sure to follow the instructions and take all precautions!
An excellent drug, but, unfortunately, causes the so-called addiction in insects. That is, if you work with it incorrectly, then the tick simply adapts to the phytoverm and does not react to it in any way. But if you notice the affected plants on time, and process them for three weeks 3-4 times, using the product strictly according to the instructions, you can achieve a positive result.
In addition to these drugs, you can always find on sale and others - BI-58, Vermitek, Aktofit, Appolo, Flumayt. But note, some do not act on eggs and lactating females, and therefore may be less effective in a complex fight.
The problems of combating spider mites
Trying to destroy pests in the country, in a greenhouse or on the open ground, you may encounter serious problems that will prevent a quality and effective fight:
- Sophisticated problem detection, although this is what is most important for an effective “war”;
- Rapid reproduction of the tick, the population of which grows much faster than many summer residents poison the pest;
- The ineffectiveness of many drugs, as well as the high ability of insects to adapt;
- The need for frequent treatments, since for 1-2 times the tick can not be killed, especially if the females have already laid thousands and thousands of eggs;
- The need to completely destroy the population, otherwise you can get a huge number of insects adapted to the drugs used;
- Web - a way to move insects, as well as excellent protection against moisture and solutions with effective drugs;
- The need to use shock doses, and often, summer residents, beginners use the funds sparingly;
- The need for a high concentration of drugs, which is dangerous for human and animal health, as well as infection of the fruits of cultivated plants.
What does a spider mite look like (video)
The fight against spider mites is very difficult, but this does not mean that every battle will be lost. Try to act correctly, do not spare the enemy and as carefully as possible beat off the remnants of the crop you love from insects. We only wish you good luck! We hope that you will be able to cope with the pest the first time.
The administration of DachaDecor.ru requests to share knowledgeable summer residents with their pest control methods in the comments to the article. Sharing such experiences will be very useful!