Each summer resident wants to have a beautiful and healthy garden near the house or to green the site with unusual coniferous trees. Many gardeners wonder: what trees are planted in the fall?
A significant part of trees and shrubs with a closed root system can be planted in spring and late autumn, until November. Perhaps autumn is the best time to plant garden or fruit trees, as well as berry bushes in the country. The exception is leaf fall time.
General information on how to choose the right time when to plant
Autumn time, along with early spring, is considered to be optimal for planting seedlings of fruit trees and most berry bushes in the country. However, it is worth remembering the observance of certain rules and taking into account the characteristics of different types of plants. So, for example, stone fruits in the garden should be planted in early spring, and seedlings of fruit trees such as apple trees or pears are best planted in late autumn at a positive average daily temperature.
In addition to fruit seedlings, many plant conifers in the country near the house, which have become noticeably popular lately. It should be remembered that for the planting of coniferous seedlings, as well as for fruit and berry, there are certain rules and the best time when the plant is guaranteed to take root and grow strong.
Autumn planting in household plots has a significant number of advantages.
- The presence of a richer selection of planting material of almost any seedlings.
- Plants planted in land warmed up over the summer do not require special care. The main care consists in high-quality watering when planting seedlings. Further irrigation of the root system is carried out without human intervention - autumn rains.
- Trees planted under the winter period, having any injuries that could have been caused during transportation or planting, will easily recover to spring heat.
- It is during planting in the fall that faster regeneration occurs and suction roots grow.
In addition, gardeners who plant seedlings in the autumn period, release a significant amount of time required for active and time-consuming work in the spring.
Types of fruit trees in Ukraine
There is a huge list of fruit seedlings that can be planted in autumn near the house. Most commonly planted are garden trees such as apple, cherry and pear. You can safely plant cherry plum, mulberry and mountain ash during this period. A significant part of varietal plum tolerates autumn planting.
Experienced gardeners have long noted that it is garden trees that can be planted until late autumn. Fruit trees planted in the fall produce a larger and more juicy crop.
What plants are best planted in autumn
Types of decorative trees that can be planted in November
Planting coniferous trees in the autumn can be more effective than in spring. Planting coniferous seedlings in land warmed up over the summer will allow the plant to adapt better in a permanent place. You can try to plant conifers near the house and in the spring, but the soil in this case will not be warm enough.
In autumn, almost any coniferous trees can be planted on the site. The thuja and tsuga canadian take root best of all. It is not uncommon to grow juniper, pine, larch, fir and spruce near the house, which winter well after autumn acclimatization.
Many summer residents plant hardwood trees near the house. It is possible to recommend an autumn planting of almost any leafy tree, except for birch and oak. These trees have some root features. The presence of a rod root without branches does not allow the plant to have time to take root before winter frosts. For this reason, it is better to plant such trees near the house in the spring.
You might also be interested in an article about weeping conifers.
Indicators affecting planting in autumn or spring
According to modern agricultural technology, in autumn it is possible, and sometimes necessary, to plant almost any tree seedlings. The exception is overly sensitive seedlings due to species or vegetative characteristics. The category of such plants that need to be planted exclusively in spring include heat-loving and poorly winter-tolerant seedlings of fruit, berry, deciduous and coniferous.
It is best to refrain from planting in the autumn period seedlings of peach, apricot, as well as cherries, chestnuts, nuts and some varieties of southern plum trees. Also, it is not necessary to plant seedlings in late autumn that were brought from other climatic regions and have not yet passed the wintering stage in the weather conditions supposed for cultivation.
When choosing seedlings in autumn, you can well consider the quality of planting material, which will insure against errors when buying fruit, deciduous or coniferous plants. On the autumn planting material, the leaves, the root system and the degree of maturation of the wood are clearly visible, which allows to evaluate the health of the seedlings. Seedlings planted in autumn with the onset of the first spring days begin intensive growth and development.
The basic rules that should be observed if necessary to plant seedlings in the fall are as follows:
- planting a seedling along with a high-quality earthen lump;
- near the house where the landing is supposed, there should not be a high occurrence of groundwater;
- disembarkation should be carried out not less than three weeks before the onset of stable and severe frosts.
Rules and terms of autumn planting
There are a number of rules, the implementation of which guarantees a good survival rate for plants planted in the autumn.
- Immediately before planting, you should cut off all the leaves remaining on the seedling. The rule is observed if the planting material is fresh and the foliage is not yet dry.
- The stem part of the seedling should be smooth and intact, and the crown of the tree should have planted buds and have prominent main branches.
- When digging a planting pit, the upper soil layer should be removed and shifted into one pile, and the lower and deeply lying soil layers must be folded to the other side.
- The depth of the planting hole should be such that when the seedling is immersed in it, the root neck rises 5 centimeters above the ground.
- The width of the planting pit should be two times greater than the diameter of the root system of the seedling.
- The removed upper soil should be mixed with humus at the rate of one bucket per seedling.
- Superphosphate and potassium chloride should be added to the planting pit, which will provide the plant with good survival. If it is impossible to use such fertilizers, they can easily be replaced with ordinary wood ash.
- On top of fertilizers, it is necessary to fill in a mixture of earth with humus with a layer of two-thirds of the pit and install a special peg.
- Align the seedling placed in the pit as much as possible, distribute the root system and fill it with the remaining soil.
- At the final stage, the root system of the plant is sprinkled with earth, and then peat with sawdust.
Mistakes when planting seedlings of fruit trees
To fix the planted plant in the pit, you should perform a soft garter of the stem to the peg installed in the pit. The earth around the stem should be carefully, but very carefully trampled.
We also recommend that you read an article on ways to protect your garden from winter frosts.
Planting trees in the autumn is not only convenient, but also rational. In spring, seedlings will already begin active growth, and gardeners will have more time to carry out all the necessary spring work on the site.