Many people like the taste of smoked fish or meat. And the smell of smoked bacon cannot be confused with anything. For the preparation of these products, plants are used in which raw material is processed with hot or cold smoke. There are two types of smoking: hot and cold.
Do-it-yourself smoked smoker
Cold smoked - this is the effect on products with cold smoke, the temperature of which is from 20 to 25 degrees. For this reason, fire chambers during the construction of cold smoked smokehouses are located at some distance from the food tank. During the time that smoke spends on the passage of the pipe and the rise to the smokehouse, it is cooled and cleaned of harmful elements.
Starting to build a smoking cabinet, you need to draw a drawing of the camera itself and the placement of its constituent elements. The furnace must be located at a distance of not less than 2.5 meters. It is best to choose a site on which there is a slope. Place the firebox below, and the smoking chamber on a hill.
The most reliable is a brick smokehouse. It can be installed in your personal garden or in the country. For the correct construction of this design, you need to consider some important points:
- Foundation. First of all, it is necessary to remove the soil to a depth of 60 centimeters. In the resulting pit, install the formwork, which will be 20-25 centimeters higher than the edges. The space should be strengthened with the help of fittings, and an empty container should be installed in the center, so that when pouring the solution in this place, a recess will be obtained through which smoke will escape from the pipe. Do not forget to install it before pouring the foundation.
- Walls. For walls of a cold smoked smokehouse, building bricks are best suited. And you can also use concrete blocks. Build a structure of your own free will. You can make a small window so that the sun's rays do not harm the products. It is best to bring it to the north side or to the shaded.
- Roof. Made from economical materials. From the bar, a rafter structure is constructed, which is covered with sheets of plywood or with an oriented chipboard. Ruberoid or metal profiles are laid on top.
- Firebox. It consists of refractory bricks, if possible, it is better to use a furnace made of metal. A pipe is installed that removes smoke from the furnace to the smokehouse. The diameter should be chosen large, for a slower progression of the smoke and its quick cooling.
- Internal organization. A metal grate is placed above the hole through which smoke exits. Hooks are suspended above it for hanging smoking products. Your smokehouse is ready.
To make a smokehouse from a barrel, you must:
- Take a wooden or metal barrel and remove the bottom from it, so that smoke can easily fill the interior. Attach an iron grate to the bottom, and install rods at the top for hanging smoking products.
- Dig two holes in the ground: under the smoking chamber and under the firebox. Connect them with a trench, the depth of which should reach 30 centimeters.
- The dimensions of the firebox should be at least half a meter in diameter, and the depth should reach about 40 centimeters. Close the bottom with a sheet of iron, and lay the walls with bricks.
- The barrel pit is best located 3 meters away from the firebox. The diameter should match the diameter of the barrel, and a depth of at least 40 centimeters.
- Cover the trench with a sheet of iron and sprinkle with earth.
- The finished smoking chamber is covered with burlap or a specially made frame.
Do-it-yourself smoked smoker
In order to make a homemade smokehouse do it yourself must have:
- metal barrel with a capacity of not more than 200 liters;
- reinforcement with a diameter of 6 mm;
- steel wire for mesh;
- metal corners;
- smoke exhaust pipe: about 1 meter long, with a diameter of at least 10 cm;
In addition, you will need: grinder, electric welding, tape measure.
Set the barrel upright. At the bottom you need to cut a rectangular hole that will serve as a firebox. Fuel will be laid here. The door is made of a cut piece of iron: hinges are welded, a handle and a latch are installed to fix the door.
Opposite the door, another round hole is made for the outlet of the chimney. A coupling with a female thread is installed in it. An external thread is cut into the pipe and screwed into the sleeve. Small holes should be made in the bottom of the barrel, which will serve as a blower.
For the manufacture of a smoking tank directly you need to do the following:
- From a sheet of metal 4-5 mm thick cut a circle with a diameter equal to the inner diameter of the barrel.
- Set the resulting circle inside the barrel at a height of 1/3 of its bottom - this is the bottom of the smoking tank.
- From below, a smoke outlet pipe is welded to the hole.
Now the entire structure must be installed on metal legs about 30 cm high. The tray for collecting fat draining from smoked products is made from the barrel lid. If it is absent, then any metal sheet of the appropriate diameter will do. To easily install the pan inside the tank, you need to weld the iron struts. The sheet itself should be easily removable from the smokehouse.
We install lattices or hang hooks for products. The number of grids will depend on the height of the barrel. Try to do the gap between the levels of at least 15 cm. When installing supports for the grilles, it must be borne in mind that the pan for collecting fat should freely exit the tank.
We make a lid of the corresponding diameter from larch. We drill several holes in it. They are needed so that excess moisture comes out of the smoking tank.