Bulbous flowers will be a real surprise for you. Before flowering, they look unattractive, but it’s worth the work and there is an opportunity to grow a "colorful miracle".
Planting occurs in the autumn, starting in September. The first buds will appear only in the spring. Flowers are demanding to care, so let them develop by gravity is not worth it. So, they do not tolerate poor and heavy soils, prefer light areas, are poorly related to dampness.
Bulbous flowers are diverse. Some bloom at the end of winter, others only in summer. A number of plants pleases flowering in the fall. There are also such flowers that let out leaves in the spring, then disappear in the summer, and bloom again in the fall - these are colchicum.
Almost all bulb flowers are perennials. The nutrients they accumulate in the bulbs. New bulbs are laid after the leaves and flowers die.
Do not cut the leaves immediately after flowering, you need to give them time to wither.
Bulbous indoor and garden flowers can be of various types. You have probably heard many of the names mentioned in the article. All plants located in the photo are found in the regions of our country:
Lily of the valley (CONVALLARIA)
Everyone saw graceful white bells with an amazing aroma. In order for the lily of the valley to please the flowering during the Christmas holidays, it is recommended to purchase its rhizomes and plant them in mid-November.
There are several popular types:
- Sardinian - blue flowers
- Giant - flowers up to 4 cm in diameter, planting in September
- Lucilia - blue star-type flowers with a white center. Blooming - at the end of winter.
Spring Plant (ERANTIS)
Tubergen spring tree has flowers with a diameter of 5 cm. Winter has yellow flowers with a "collar" of leaves.
The plant has an impressive size. Bulb planting occurs in the fall, and in the summer bells are formed on peduncles - 20 or more.
In everyday life, other names of flowers of this type are often used, for example, crocus. Planted in the fall to get plants in the spring.
As a rule, the color of the petals is yellow, but pink and pale blue shades can also be found. Flowering occurs from January to February. The most popular varieties are Pickwick (purple with purple stripes), Vanguard (silver pink).
Growing onion flowers
Before planting, the soil should be carefully dug up and organic or mineral top dressing should be applied. The composition of the soil should also be taken into account, if it is too acidic, liming is performed. Then sand is added and time is waited for a couple of days for the soil to settle.
It is important to comply with the landing dates! Spring garden flowers are planted from September to early October, summer - in the spring.
The hole should be 2-3 times larger than the bulb. The bottom is strewn with river sand.
Plant selection rules
- Noble tulip varieties will be a great option for regular style gardens. In the flower beds and in rural gardens, garden varieties of daffodil, hazel grouse, hyacinth, lily look great. They need nutritious soil and enough sun.
- In small gardens and alpine slides, miniature flower shapes should be planted. You can give preference to wild daffodils and tulips. They look no less attractive than their garden counterparts. A number of varieties grow without care and run wild near shrubs and trees.
- Dreaming of a lawn where onion blooms in spring, they should know that it will be possible to mow grass only from the beginning of June. Daffodils, photos of which you can see in detail, cannot be mowed for 8 weeks after flowering, otherwise they will not be able to bloom next year.
- Crocuses, which, like snowdrops, belong to primroses, most quickly wither.
- The most spectacular first spring bloom looks in a shady garden. Anemones, chionidoxes, Corydalis, spring are blooming. It is noteworthy that the presented species do not require care. After the flowers die off, the life of the plants flows in the bulb. Next spring, beautiful buds will reappear.
Use in landscape design
Garden bulbs will decorate any garden.
A perfectly trimmed lawn is the pride of any summer resident. But if you saw natural meadows, it is enough to plant onion on the site, and you will get a whole sea of flowers. Help achieve the desired:
In the fall, landing in a chaotic manner. In spring, a whole sea of flowers of blue, blue, pink and other shades appears.
- One of the most popular techniques of designers - borders. So onion, you can dilute the pachisander carpet or plant hosts bushes.
- In the autumn garden, lilac flowers of colchicum will look great.
- Excellent neighbors for bulbs will be low trees, perennials and annuals, shrubs.
Play of color
The selection of colors depends on the appearance of the house.
Colors are warm and cold. To obtain contrasting combinations, you should combine cold and warm shades. To achieve harmony, colors that are close in tone are used. Almost every garden uses white colors.
You should use the same color scheme in every corner of the garden so that there is no oversaturation.
The basic rule is to apply no more than 3 shades. There is one more nuance - harmony is achieved when the color ratio: 70:15:15.
Combination with groundcover
For those who do not have time to engage in a garden, soil protectors will be an excellent option. However, they themselves look a little boring. However, pachisander apical, willow creeping and purple will be ideal neighbors for bulbs in the form of daffodils, lilies or hyacinths.
Boarding in containers
Bulb plants make it possible to make even a small garden luxurious. They can be dropped into containers and put near trees, on a balcony, loggia, terrace.
The container should be large - at least 25 centimeters in depth and with a similar diameter. The pot must have a hole for draining water. When using spring-flowering flowers, the container is selected frost-resistant.
Bulbs are buried in the same way as in the ground. The distance between the flowers should be decent so that the plants do not interfere with each other. Periodic watering required.
The real decoration of the garden will be bulbous plants. They do not require much time and attention. Even with intermittent care, you can enjoy delicate inflorescences in the spring, summer and autumn.